Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Recruiting from the other team

Soooo, I might have been a little overzealous last time I wrote. First things first, the rumors were true, Galway does party balls. We had dinner last night, at a pretty cool pub and then walked down to the drag. It reminded me a lot of Salamanca in the sense that there's one street, all pedestrian, lined with shops, restaurants, bars and clubs. We duck into one place called The Kings Head, and go to work. Now, Paul hasn't been at 100ince he got here - some cough the rug-rat gave him so he was already trying to manage expectation in terms of his commitment that night. The place was crowded and getting more so by the minute so we Matt and Paul grabbed a table and I grabbed the beers/whisky. Scotland had just lost a big rugby match so all the Irish rugby players were wearing kilts that night. They had a great time of trying to make other people inadvertently look at their nuts. I have to admit, a pretty funny game.

After a while a group of American girls (I swear to God, they're like leaches) comes over and asks if they can share our tables. We say sure and start talking. You know what, they weren't all that interesting and subsequently this isn't a very interesting story. Laurie, if you're reading this, I'm not talking about y'all.

So by the time we left the bar I was pretty polluted. So on the way home, I'm leading (I know, should have been a good indication) and decide that 12:30 is just too early to turn it in and walk through the door of this random ass bar.

From what I remember of the place, it was weird, kinda like if a Chinese food restaurant in a strip mall doubled as a bar. Yeah, like that. Anyway, we walk in like we own the place and supposed to be there and sit towards the back. At some point, a waitress brings some food to the table next to us. They were all up dancing so we figured the food would be better placed on our tables. When they returned we just pretended we didn't speak English. Classic Titian.

Now, here's another indication that things weren't quite right. The two plates that the waitress brought over was a mix of chicken and cocktail weenies. We left one on the table and took the other. We ate both the chicken and cocktail weenies. The other table just ate the chicken.

Another tip would have been all the flannel.

Maybe the extremely good girl to guy ratio could have clued us in.

But the two women snogging in the corner should have definitely told us something.

Regardless, we didn't figure it out until halfway through a techno remix of John Denver's classic, Country Road, Take Me Home. As soon as we realized the situation we headed straight back to the table, ate the rest of the people next to us' food and got out of there right after singing Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer at the top of our lungs. We finally crashed around 2am I think.

Today, we got up around 10am, had breakfast (Paul tried one of the English Bangers I'd rather lick the handrail in a subway station. He damn near lost it right there in the breakfast room) and decided to take it slow today since we were all moving a little slow as it was. We ducked into a TI (tourist information centre) and found out a bus was leaving in an hour for the Aran Islands, a tour we were planning on doing that day anyway. So we sucked it up and paid our dues hopped the bus, took the ferry, hired a tour guide and explored the Islands. These people are what you would call old school Irish. The even speak "Irish" or what everyone else calls Gaelic. In fact, unless they're talking to you, they're speaking Irish. It really is like being in a foreign country...er...you know what I mean.

They took us up to this old fort (and by old, I mean built some time circa 2000bc) built right on the edge of a 300ft cliff over the Atlantic. They walls on this fort were 13 feet thick, 10 feet tall, all stacked stone. I would have given the chief the finger if he told me to start carrying stones to make a 13ft thick wall. I mean really, we talk about "ancient" civilization in America building impressive structures. Bullshit. They're neither ancient nor impressive once you've seen what the Irish had to live with and what they accomplished. The Hopi had it easy! I mean really, we've got some cave drawings and they're all "ahh, yeah we got that.” Oh, did you see the massive stones we stood upright and in a circle and positioned so that the summer solstice sun would shine perfectly through it? No? Well you should. It's just south of the big ass stone fort we build on the edge of the world!"

We got home around six, had some great Italian food and I think we're gonna sack out pretty soon. I picked up an English FHM magazine. They're so much better than the American versions (it started in the UK and headed west after Maxim and Stuff got so big). I'll probably tear into that tonight. My Blog stats say it's been viewed 121 times! Not too shabby.

Oh yeah, that picture-sharing program I thought I'd found turns out to suck. I've already hit my limit. Here's the new link. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment