Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hasta Luego

Well avid readers, it's come to be that time. Time for me to write the last chapter in what will most assuredly go down in history is the greatest European chronicle written to date. But fear not, I'm sure that sometime during the coming weeks and months, you'll hear from me again.

Our last day(s) in Dublin were uneventful and pretty much just focused on relaxing and enjoying our fleeting time in Ireland and together. We took in 2 movies in 2 days. I haven't done that in years. Saw Walk the Line – greatness. Not V for Vendetta great, but still good.

We did some last minute souvenir shopping and got some reading material for the trip home. There isn't a new FHM out yet unfortunately but maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow at the airport.

Matt and I saw Paul off this morning and he should be touching down in a few hours. Matt and I fly out tomorrow but took a bus to Limerick (yes, like the point smart guy) today to be closer to the Shannon airport in the morning. Nothing else really to report…sorry to end all this on such a bland tone but such is travel. Start with a bang, end with a whimper.

I'll tell you this; I'm ready to be back in the states. No slam on Ireland or travel in general. You always know you've travelled the right amount of time when you're ready to be back just before you have to be back. Good timing. I miss the 5 lane highways. I miss the catsup without the massive amount of sugar in it. I miss IPA beer. I miss a mattress that has the indention my ass has so dutifully carved out over the last year. I miss everyone knowing that I think Bush is a total fuckup and not having to explain it to everyone I meet after I tell them I'm from Texas. I miss a showerhead that could take paint off a sidewalk.

What I'll miss about Ireland….being excited to see the sun. Not worrying about whether or not it will be hot today. Not worrying about asshole drivers. Not worrying about buying the first round. Chatting up complete strangers in a bar. Winks from strange women. Women who get just as plastered as their men do. Sheppard’s Pie. Waiting 10 mins for a Guinness because that's how long it takes to pour one. The color green. Having the "tres hermanos" back for 12 full days. Fighting over who gets the single bed. Fighting over who gets the first shower.

That's it kids. I'm out.

(I just dropped the mic on the stage)

No comments:

Post a Comment