Monday, May 14, 2007

food for thought

On the 1st night here, we ate at one of Ricks recommendations. We ordered a ton of fish and it all arrived in tact - that is, head on. I tore into it but Erin wasn’t exactly thrilled so after dinner we walked up and down the promenade. It being Saturday night, there were plenty of people out and about so we quickly noticed a local pizzeria doing a hell of a lot of business. Erin popped in for a slice and immerged with a quarter of a pie. She took one bite and said "this pizza tastes like it has Velveeta on it" 2 blinks..."it’s delicious!” not believing her I took a bite - she was right and now we will probably put Velveeta on the pizzas we get back home.

The Croatians really like their food in tube form. You can get anything from pate, to mayonnaise to tomato paste all in what looks exactly like the Crest tube on your bathroom counter. I love pate but I don’t think I will be trying it in tube form any time soon

We had lunch yesterday in a place we thought was recommended by Rick but in further examination, was not. Didn’t matter - best damn food I’ve had here yet! we ordered :

  • bottle of wine
  • water
  • anchovies
  • French fries
  • mushroom caps
  • pizza
  • tuna gnocchi
The waiter, who turned out to be really cool, took our order, reviewed it and said "in all my 35 years, I have never taken this order". in all fairness it was more food than we intended to order but I felt obligated to make it disappear just to spite the guy. we finally finished that meal at 4pm. Total cost: $20. I love Croatia.

Bon Apatite!

No comments:

Post a Comment