Monday, April 13, 2009

The Honeymooners

Italy is how I remember it...which is a good thing. I still have to remind Erin to pick her jaw up off the floor. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

The hotel at DFW was awesome. We got upgraded to their Presidents Suite that had a bathroom bigger than our bedroom at home. Not to mention four chocolate, coconut, etc covered strawberries and a bottle of fine champagne! We ate the strawberries and sent the fine champagne back home with our cloths to enjoy another time. I also stole the soap and mouthwash. Hey, it’s a honeymoon but that doesn't mean I’m not going to take everything that’s not nailed down to the floor!

We got to JFK no problem and quickly made our way to our connecting gate to see if we could sweet talk the attendants into letting us sit in first class. Right as we got to the desk, she called my name. I have no idea why but we explained our situation and she promptly handed us two, first class tickets. I saw The Day The Earth Stood Still and was re-impressed just how badly Keanu Reaves sucks the talent out of any movie he’s in. He’s like an acting black hole. Not even the light of Jennifer Connelly can escape his gravitational suckiness. I also had the fillet minion while Erin had the tikka masala. I had a little order envy. I think I got a good 4 hours of sleep...Erin wasn’t so lucky. Neither of us has slept well for the last few nights and the previous night was no exception. We kept going over the wedding and how it played out which kept getting us worked up. We really did have a great time and feel like pretty much everyone else did too!

Milan Airport, at first glance, is a beast. Once you give it a second, it starts to make sense. We finally found the bus to the main train station and hoped the 12:20 train to Varrena on Lake Como and got to our hotel by 1:30. Erin (and I) was blown away by the Lake District which boarders Switzerland and is surrounded by the Alps. Our hotel is ancient and beautiful with some of the most amazing gardens Vie ever seen. When we talked into our room I thought they over did it with the potpourri but it turns our room overlooks the gardens and they smell amazing! We got Erin her second cup of Italian coffee (i.e. espresso) and her first Italian pizza (and her first "house wine"). Both were very much to her liking. We spent the rest of the day bumming around the lakeshore, introducing gelato to our diet (1st up - sour cherry!!!) and relaxing. We had dinner at a little cafe on the water and had homemade salami, dried lake fish, pumpkin gnocchi, and homemade ravioli...and a liter of their house wine. It was so much food I couldn’t finish it....

We stumbled (due to the lack of sleep more than to the house wine) back to our hotel and were asleep by 9:30. It’s been a great start to Italy and our honeymoon thus far. Can’t wait to blog about today later!

No comments:

Post a Comment